Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hotlanta and Old Lace








As you can see, I am well on my way to finishing the ‘Branching Out’ scarf. The picture of the finished scarf is from the creator’s web site. I have a way to go yet before I am finished. Although I can clearly see all of the mistakes, I am still proud of it. I never thought I would ever enjoy knitting on any needles smaller than a 13 with jumbo chunky yarn, but I really enjoy this lace. I wanted to start another project, but realized I don’t have any lace weight yarn. I knew it wouldn’t be a problem for long.



I bought this in Atlanta last weekend during our mini vacation. I must be gentle with my yarn budget right now. Bryan has seen my stash and just doesn't understand. And I didn't really have anyway to hide any purchases at this point, so I resisted the temptation to buy Alpaca silk and when for the linen cotton blend for a future lace table scarf at 50% off- I love a bargain. We spent a great deal of time driving around the city looking at homes and neighborhoods and trying to find an area that we would like to move to when the time comes later this year. However, after all of the house hunting (I took pics, but I didn’t want to bore you to tears with pictures of newly painted homes, manicured lawns and open house signs decorated with helium balloons) I decided to take a trip alone to Why Knot Knit. I took out my map and was off. Off to an area where old money is comfortably nestled to the nouveau riche. I didn’t have high expectations.

I assumed that I would have an experience similar to the one I had in Chicago last year.-The day after the Chicago marathon I walked, I mean waddled, from 3 different ‘L’ stations to 3 different yarn shops. They were all closed (I know. I should have called). I finally found one on the “Gold Coast” near the high end boutiques. The women in the shop were very rude. Never visit "We'll Keep You In Stitches". When I asked for an additional skein of Nordic yarn, she asked me to look for it myself in the storage area. Bitch. If I knew how and were to cross stitch a small plaque for them to hang in their pretentious shop, what would it say?

In the end, everything was just peachy in Peach Hills, Atlanta, Georgia. The shop was just overflowing with an absolutely beautiful variety of yarns. The staff was very pleasant and sad to find out that I could not stay to meet Sally Melville before my plane left. (She was scheduled to speak that afternoon long after my departure). If you’re ever in the Atlanta area you must check it out.

3 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger City Wiccan said...

First of all the lace looks so awesome!!! You are wayyyyy better than I am at this. You are awesome!!

As for the bf not understanding the stash . . . my husband just doesn't get it either. He constantly asks why I keep so much yarn if I'm not using it immediately.

I can't believe that woman told you to find your own yarn. I REALLY hate rude people. I had a rude bus driver today that I almost strangled. :)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Hey hon,

Thanks for the compliments on the Irish Hiking Scarf. I based the hat pattern on IRISH HIKING HAT pattern that is posted on my blog....I just substituted the ribbed edge for cables.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Atlanta!!! I use to go there all the time. You and your husband are so lucky to be moving there.

I will take note of the yarn shop.

The lace looks pretty good. I wish I were like you, I would have frogged the whole thing and restarted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home