Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Symphony

Last Friday I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing (and hearing) the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. The concert featured Elgar's Voilin Concerto and Schumann's Symphony No. 2.

The Powell Symphony Hall is just magnificent and grand. Our good friends Joe and Dan were kind enough to invite us along and give us box seat tickets. Not only is being in their company enjoyable and warming (not to mention full of laughs and good conversation), but to attend this event with them was just fantastic.

But of course, as most knitters know, sitting still while listening to relaxing music can have its challenges. I somewhat jokingly asked Bryan if I could take my knitting along, but he said it might be a bit tacky and annoying to others, so I digressed. Yet, the entire time my mind kept drifting back to my irish hiking scarf (a highly recommended pattern from femiknit mafia. I kept thinking how my knitting resembles a symphony. This may seem very elementry and odd to those more knowledgable about the art of music than myself, but what can I say, my mind wonders endlessly at times.

It just made sense to me that each stitch, loop, knot, knit and purl were all instruments that join together in harmony to complete one piece. The pattern is determined by the frequency of each stitch. For example, a single garter stitch being played continuously will result in a very simple and sometimes monotonous pattern. Yet a simple combination of knit and purl, in conjuction with vibrant colors, can result in a joyous and energetic piece that must be played (or worn) many times over. However, all this is determined by the conductor of course. Which in this case, is me. The patterns, colors and tempo of the project at hand are determined by the knitter with his (dare I say baton) needles. As is the case with my scarf. With mutiple shades of blue knitted into 3 cables is calming yet mildly complex.

I hope to make it to the symphony again soon. Maybe booties knitted on plastic needles would be appropriate and less irritating to others? I'll let you know.

2 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger City Wiccan said...

I am someone who knows more about music. I work as a composer and a performer. Perhaps you might be sitting listening to my symphony soon. Anyways, your analogy makes a lot of sense. I think that a good piece of music can bring you somewhere else . . . even to a knitting pattern.

I've often thought of writing a piece of music based on a knitting pattern or idea.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Good story. Like music, knitting is a meditative experience for me. When will you post a picture of your Irish Hiking Scarf?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home