Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'd like an order of lace, without the circulars please.


So I did it again. Once again I have tried and enjoyed doing something I said I would never ever want to do. Making lace, or at least something similar. I can't really say that I have really made any yet because after about 2 inches into making my lace scarf I thought it was curling just a bit much. So I did what any normal knitter would do, right? I tugged and pulled and stretched..... just a bit more and it will be perfe..... damn. Double damn. How did that happen? It broke. Lace weight yarn breaks easy. The cast on edge broke. So I ripped. I am starting over.

HERE you can link to the pattern and a photo of the finished product. I would like to put a picture of it here but I have been frightened into thinking that anything I do will steel someone's bandwidth or break copyright laws. Well, I am pretty sure bandwidth wouldn't be stolen because I have figured out how to prevent that. My concern would be copyright laws. Can I put copyright pic on my blog it is only to show the result. I know it is okay to have a link to the sight that contains the picture, so why not just the picture then?

As for circular needles. I have decided that I don't like knitting on them. They don't feel good like straights do. For some reason I find them uncomfy and they make my hands hurt. I hate to admit it. I mean, afterall I do have a few pair of them. But they are necessary, aren't they? Sure they are. Just like the multiple pairs of size 6 doubles that I have lying next to them.

I wanted to knit lace. Well, not really. Not at first anyway. I just got tired of knitting scarves, hats, purses and socks. I want to tackle gloves, but I am not ready yet. I'm scared. I'm afraid I will get to the fingers and the thumb and get lost. Lace was just as scary. But so much prettier than a glove, don't you think?

7 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger City Wiccan said...

Hey, I haven't forgotten about you!!
Sorry to hear about the lace. That's really crappy and I would be so upset if that happened to me.

As for copyright pictures -- I just put one on my blog but I put a link back to the site. I'll remove it if they have a problem but I figure it's free advertising for them. There is no copyright violation by just posting a link to the site. You're fine!!

As for circulars -- I'm with you!! I hate the bloody things! You do seem to need them for collars on sweaters and stuff but if I don't have to use them, I won't.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger City Wiccan said...

Ok . . . I have to post again. As a rule, I don't really care for lace but I really like that pattern you are doing. I took a look at it. It's so nice in Green. I want to try it with a cotton.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

If you can knit lace, then you can certainly knit gloves. I actually think lace is harder, but that's just me. I'm knitting Branching out too, but not very regularaly, so it's not very big yet!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Tallguy said...

I love knitting lace! It's very easy, and rather boring. PSSO?? Why?? I don't think I do that one.. maybe; I don't even think about it.

And circs are actually a lot easier to use, but personal preference may vary. Depends what you are used to, and how big your hands are. I have some too small for me, but most are okay. And you can use them for ALL your knitting, and don't need to bother with straights, or dps.

I'm honoured to have my site linked on your page! Wow! Just makes me all smiles!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

I wonder if the circ hate thing has anything to do with hand size? I could see how that might factor into whether a person likes them or dislikes them.

I love using circs, but I also started using them in the VERY beginning when I was learning to knit. I prefer the bamboo now, since the metal gets too cold sometimes.

Gorgeous lace, btw =)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Nik said...

I've been dying to knit branching out. Now, if i can just learn to knit for MYSELF instead of others...

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's me. I'm reading through all your posts.

Lace is something that I've just ventured into. It's hard only because you gotta count like crazy. But if you can knit and purl, increase and decrease, you can knit lace. whatever it is, lace is gorgeous. A little bit time consuming but the results are gorgeous.

You will not be infringing on any copyright issues by posting Branching Out's picture on your blog. I do it on mine all the time. The only time you would be infringing on copyright is when you post the picture and said that you made it. So, there you go.

I can't beleive you don't like circulars. I prefer circulars to sticks anytime. I mean, I always lose the other needle with straights. And there is just no support, I don't like the ends just sticking out like that.

I guess you would do fine with branching out on straight needles. The lace doesn't grow. But when you start shawls, I don't know how you would do it without circulars.

alright, I've blabbed enough. On to the next post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home